Skip to main content

Entry 1: Reflection


As you saw in my video, I grew up as a monolingual in Texas. Although my father speaks Hindi, my brother and I do not. I actually don’t remember ever hearing my father speak Hindi until I was in my teens. One day I overheard him speaking to someone on the phone and it took me by surprise. It’s interesting to me that, according to Ortega, I am part of the minority that grows up only speaking one language (Ortega, 2013). I think that it would have been nice to grow up speaking my father’s native tongue in addition to learning other languages. Although I did take Spanish courses in high school I do not how to speak Spanish fluently. I think the language is beautiful and there are certain words that I can understand when spoken and piece together sentences, but as far as speaking the language goes, my capabilities there are far below average. It is a dream of mine to travel the world and maybe even teach English in another country where I can also learn the language of the people who live there.  I think that it is important to be well-rounded and delve into the cultures of others in order to understand and communicate effectively with them. I hope to learn about more about second language acquisition, and all of the factors that affect ELL's capability to learn another language. 

Ortega, L. (2013). Understanding second language acquisition. Routledge.

Comments