Skip to main content

Entry 4: Reflection

The learning of a second language certainly requires a slew of factors to take into consideration while studying SLA. This was proven to me throughout the duration of this course and was supported by the information provided. Because of the authors and the extensive research that has been done in regards to SLA, I was able to learn an extensive amount about what all it takes to learn a second or additional language. While there are many topics that the authors of the textbooks discuss, the ones that stood out to me the most were the ones that I chose to write about in my argumentative essay. These included motivation, the influence of L1 in learning a second language, and the effect of age on SLA. My understanding of the learning of a second language is that “It studies a wide variety of complex influences and phenomena that contribute to the puzzling range of possible outcomes when learning an additional language in a variety of contexts” (Ortega, 2013). This statement from Ortega concisely summarizes that there are many factors that contribute to the learning of a second language.
The impact that this class will have on my professional practice will be extremely advantageous considering I will have English Language Learners in my own classroom. The course has provided insight on some of the struggles and strengths of ELLs when it comes to learning a second language and has forced me to think about how I will accommodate my students. It’s important to me that me students feel trust, as well as respect and an effort from me to learn about them. Motivation will play a huge part in my classroom, especially after reading about the positive effects that teachers have on their students’ motivation (Kaboody, 2013).  Overall, this class has proven that there was an abundant amount of information that I didn’t know about SLA and that through learning more about it, I will be more equipped to help my students learn their second language to the best of their ability.
The topics that I found most interesting in this course were, again, the ones that I chose to talk about in my argumentative essay: motivation, influence of L1, and age. Age was an interesting topic because I was able to learn about the “loss of plasticity undergone by human brains by year nine of life”, which led to the belief that children were more “adept foreign language learners, when compared to adults” (Ortega, 2013). But when it comes to L2 learning rate, Ortega states that, “adults and older children enjoy an initial advantage over young children that may last over up to one year” (Ortega, 2013). This piece of information was especially interesting to me because even though that may be the case, early ELLs prove to be better than late ELLs because they “catch up” and are better than late learners (Ortega, 2013).
Lastly, I will say that the VBlog was a very different, but effective and interesting way to learn from my classmates about the topics discussed in class. It was informative because it allowed me to hear interviews with all different kinds of ELLs and ELL teachers, as well as understand the views that my peers had on the topics discussed throughout the course. I enjoyed being able to receive feedback from my classmates and reflect on the pieces of information that they cited because it allowed me to think about things that maybe I wouldn’t have on my own. Learning about my classmates’ experiences with SLA was also very interesting and made me want to learn more about my father’s first language, which is Hindi. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to interact with my peers in this way and I hope that I am able to do it again at some point before I graduate.




References
Kaboody, M. (2013). Second language motivation; the role of teachers in learners’ motivation. Journal of Academic and Applied Studies, 3(4), 45-54.


Ortega, L. (2013). Understanding second language acquisition. Routledge.

Comments

  1. Dani,

    Yes, the VBlog was a different way of learning but was beneficial in a broader aspect; it really provided insight to getting to know everyone and their perspectives. I really enjoyed the article from Kaboody. There was an abundance of information in the article that peaked my interest. Motivation is a huge influential factor for our ELL's. It provides primary impetus to initiate learning the second language and also is the driving force to sustain the learning process (Kaboody, 2013, p.45). Reading about our role as a teacher in their lives makes me take a step back and really reflect on how to motivate these children extrinsically. I mean seriously, Kaboody states that teachers are one of the most determinant factors of L2 learners' motivation (Kaboody, 2013, p.48). I walk away knowing that I want to utilize strategies to be the teacher who positively affects my ELL's motivation!


    Kaboody, M. (2013). Second language motivation; the role of teachers in learners’ motivation. "Journal of Academic and Applied Studies", 3(4), 45-54.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, thank you for your response! I appreciate your feedback on motivation, as it was one of the topics that peaked my interest the most. I loved when Kaboody stated, "In many instances, students face many obstacles in learning English and are often demotivated to learn. However, certain motivational strategies, identified by research on motivation, can help learners adopt more positive attitudes towards language learning" (Kaboody 2013). Which of the strategies mentioned did you fine the most interesting and how would you implement them in your classroom?

      Kaboody, M. (2013). Second language motivation; the role of teachers in learners’ motivation. "Journal of Academic and Applied Studies", 3(4), 45-54.

      Delete
    2. Dani,

      I loved the entire article by Kaboody. It contained information that I felt was very relevant and thus I found it easy to read. I think that as a teacher it has provided insight to the significance motivation plays in all of our lives. I think that if I observed one of my ELL's becoming demotivated, my first question would be why. What has changed in this students' life? Have circumstances changed? Is there a particular reason why my student is exhibiting signs of demotivation? To begin to address the change in motivation I believe the first strategy I would use would be communication. Kaboody mentions that there must be a mutual trust and respect with the learners. As teachers, we need to promote this respect by interacting with the students on a personal level and modeling behavior that shows them that we care about their personal issues or challenges that they face in or outside of the classroom (Kaboody, 2013, p.49). I think that getting to the route of the lack of motivation (demotivation) would be the first step to implement. From there, the strategies would depend on the learners response!

      Kaboody, M. (2013). Second language motivation; the role of teachers in learners’ motivation. Journal of Academic and Applied Studies, 3(4), 45-54.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Dani! The topics you found the most interesting were very similar to the ones I thought were the most interesting as well! I think that overall, even though the book has a lot of information about how age and influence of L1 heavily impact how people learn a second language, being a teacher who is motivated is the most important aspect of second language acquisition. People need to have positive attitudes and enjoy what they are doing in order to learn anything, which is why as future educators need to motivate their students to love what they do (Ortega, 2013, p.170). Good luck in your future endeavors!

    Sources: Ortega, L. (2013). Understanding second language acquisition. Routledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dahlia, thank you for your response! It's certainly comforting to know that the role of a teacher's motivation has such a large impact on ELLs motivation. I found it interesting, yet not surprising when Kaboody said, "Another motivational condition is classroom atmosphere. Students’ anxiety is one of the most recognized factors that undermine learning effectiveness and second language motivation" (Kaboody, 2013). I think that learning environment plays a huge role in supporting a the way a student learns, even from experience as a student teacher. There have been classrooms that I have observed in that have been bare, bleak and uninviting, which is the first impression you receive no matter what the personality of the teacher is like. How do you plan on making your classroom atmosphere inviting for all students, especially ELLs?

      Delete
  3. I agree that age is one of the most interesting aspects of second language acquisition. It makes sense that the, “critical or sensitive period for first language acquisition in humans is strong,” just as it is in most areas of learning. (Ortega, 2013, p.13). It is important for us as educators to be familiar with the developmental stages of children so that we can provide instruction according to the age of our students. I also find that it was important for us to hear from our classmates’ interviewees as well as our own because it provided a variety of perspectives and brought a lot of ideas to the table.

    Ortega, L. (2015). Understanding second language acquisition. Routledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Morgan, thank you for your reply! The critical/sensitive period was a topic that I found to be interesting, especially because Ortega mentioned that scholars used them interchangeably (Ortega, 2013). I love how you mentioned that our peer feedback provided a "variety of perspectives". Is there anything in particular that you have learned from other classmates that you have found to be interesting or will use in your future classroom with ELLs?

      Delete
  4. Hi Dani! I found motivation and age fascinating as well. Something you might find interesting is "the realization age effect may be present in additional language acquisition much earlier than previously thought, perhaps by age four" (Ortega, 2013, p. 25). I believe you would find it interesting as well because it goes along with the loss of brain plasticity by age nine (Ortega, 2013). I thought our vblogs were a unique way to learn from our peers and I found it to be effective as well.

    Ortega, L. (2013). Understanding second language acquisition. Routledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica! Thank you for your reply.

      I did find the information you brought to my attention very interesting, thank you for sharing that. I also found it interesting when Gass stated, "There are social psychological reasons for why adults learn languages less readily than children do," in which she is referring to adults being afraid to lose their sense of identity and their apprehension of a new-life world (Gass, 2013). This piece of information was interesting to me because I can see how an adults view on learning a new language would differ from that of a child who is used to learning very new, different things every day. It seems as though children almost have a sense of excitement that adults may not have when it comes to acquiring a second language.

      Gass, S. M. (2013). Second language acquisition: An introductory course. New York, NY: Routledge.

      Delete
  5. Hi Dani! I found it interesting that you chose to discuss age in your argumentative essay. Like you, the fact that “adults and older children enjoy an initial advantage over young children that may last over up to one year (Ortega, 2013, p. 28)” was extremely surprising because prior to this course I believed that children really did have the overall advantage when learning a new language. Learning research findings like the fact that “adults and adolescents were better than children in terms of what they could learn in a 25-minute instruction session or up to a year of naturalistic exposure (Ortega, 2013, p.16)” was very interesting. I think that by learning how age effects our students and their ability to learn will be beyond beneficial in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexis! Thank you for your reply. Ortega did make numerous interesting points when it came to age, including the ones that you mentioned. Gass mentions that there are, "...a number of possible explanations to account for the well-attested fact that most adults do not (or cannot) become fluent in a second language" (Gass, 2013). Some of the explanations included loss of innate learning strategies, the "use it, then lose it" theory, and the changes that age has on processing and memory capacities (Gass, 2013). My interviewee, Ana, who is an ELL told me that she tried learning Korean once she reached adulthood and it was extremely difficult for her. Yet, learning her second language (English) at a young age was much easier for her. The explanations that the authors give in their texts make sense to me, especially after having experiences with ELLs myself.

      Gass, S. M. (2013). Second language acquisition: An introductory course. New York, NY: Routledge.

      Delete

Post a Comment